We extend our deepest condolences to you and your family. Please know our staff is available to you at any time.
If an Iowa Cremation member's death is imminent or has occurred, it is important to call us at 1-888-871-3361 to speak with one of our caring licensed staff.
The following is information on the responsibilities of the family and of Iowa Cremation after a loss has occurred.
Your family's responsibilities at the time of death:
- Call 1-888-871-3361
- Iowa Cremation has staff on duty 24 hours a day and seven days a week, including holidays. A licensed funeral director will be in touch with family members to make arrangements.
It is imperative for you as an Iowa Cremation member to discuss this process with your family, disposition designee, and/or the representatives who will be making decisions at the time of death. Your agreement with Iowa Cremation states that we must be the first and only death care provider called at the time of need. Your preplanned agreement is price guaranteed unless your survivors call a provider other than Iowa Cremation. Any charges incurred with another provider will be the responsibility of the survivors.
Our responsibilities at the time of death:
- Remove the deceased from the place of death.
- Transport the deceased to the crematory.
- Obtain all necessary cremation authorizations and medical examiner permits.
- Perform the cremation.
- Package the cremated remains for return to the family. Unless an alternative urn is purchased or provided, the cremated remains will be returned in a minimal plastic container.
- File the death certificate.
- Notify Social Security of the death. Please note: While Iowa Cremation notifies Social Security that death has occured, any family questions about the death benefit or other issues will need to be discussed directly with the Social Security Administration. You can contact them toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or by visiting www.ssa.gov.
- Provide forms to survivors for application for Veterans benefits.
- Assist with the writing and placement of the obituary in newspapers of the family's choice. Newspaper obituary charges are NOT included in the agreement.
- If a member dies out of state, we will make arrangements according to the terms outlined in our Travel Protection policy.
- Package and ship the cremated remains to the destination of choice. If cremated remains need to be shipped or hand delivered at a specific time, there is an additional delivery charge. Alternately, cremated remains may be picked up at one of our facilities by the person designated in the cremation authorization.
Immediate Need Forms
- After speaking with one of our Licensed Funeral Directors by phone, they may ask for you to download and complete some of the forms listed below. If you have any questions, please call 1-888-871-3361.